My friend Stacy West Clark has 25 suggestions for adding value to your relationship with “current clients, referral sources and potential clients,” which are for the most part “free.” And I agree that by following her suggestions, “you will get business” as well.
Stacy’s article appeared in both The Legal Intelligencer and on Law.com’s Small Firm Business. Here are a few of her suggestions that I especially like, and have discussed at one time or another myself:
- Visit your clients off the clock;
- Ask for client feedback;
- Buy your clients products and services, where possible;
- Send them customers or clients;
- Support your client’s charity(ies) of choice;
- Offer free CLE programs for their legal department;
- Attend board meetings free;
- Nominate your client for an award;
- Give the client’s kids tickets to events, theme parks, and such;
- Entertain clients;
- Ask client to join a panel with you; and one of my favorites
- Befriend your clients.
Whatever moves you, do something that will add value to your client relationships.