Some people just seem to have all the luck. Born into the right family, went to the right schools, landed the right job, works with the best clients and they make it all look easy. Maybe it shouldn’t be chalked up to “luck.” What else could it be? Huffington Post contributor and author of Embrace The Chaos, Bob Miglani writes… 21 Reasons Why Some People Get So Lucky in Life. He realized that some people… “became ‘lucky’ because they think differently and take certain actions.” Below are several of the reasons that I think are particularly applicable to lawyers:
1. Surround themselves with positive people who build them up not tear them down. Life is hard enough as it is without having to worry about negative people slowing you down.
2. Put positive seeds into their mind every single day. All of us wake up with sometimes random thoughts that can debilitate. By proactively choosing the right words and actions, some people overcome those morning limitations set by the mind. They have certain rituals. A morning run, meditation, prayer or their morning cup of coffee while walking the dog.
3. Fight the over-thinking mind each day. You are not alone. We all overthink choices that lie ahead. It can be a daily battle. Is it in their DNA? Maybe. But increasingly I’ve learned that some people — especially happier people make a choice to limit their overthinking mind.
4. Accept imperfection. They don’t say, “It’s not a good time right now.” But they do say, “It’s always a good time right here and right now.” They know the right time will never come to them. They have to go out and make it the right time.
5. They don’t gossip or pay attention to the critics. Lucky people don’t get distracted by the naysayers, doubters or haters. They don’t allow the negativity to enter their mind. Shrugging off a desire to gossip or respond to critics, lucky people smile and keep walking forward.
6. They take lots of action. Lucky people have a bias for trying things, even if they may fail. They create certainty by moving forward rather than sitting still. Momentum goes when your energy flows.
7. They are open to meeting anyone, anytime. Talking openly to anyone who’ll listen to their ideas, lucky people smile and engage — opening up their minds to chance meetings with strangers where one thing can lead to another.
8. They get hurt by the setbacks and the failures as much as anyone but they keep going because they know that they’ll come out of it. They have this powerful belief that tough times pass and that if they persevere long enough, they’ll get through the failures.
9. They believe in themselves. They’re not arrogant. Lucky people feel that all of us have this inner strength… this resiliency of the human mind that can achieve great things.
10. They know that getting to success is never a straight line but a path full of curves and side roads. Lucky people zig zagged their way through life often in uncharted waters.
11. Are grateful. Recognizing that life is not a right but a gift, lucky people act with great humility.
12. They serve others. From launching a new business to sustaining a happy marriage requires serving someone else than yourself. Lucky people give generously to others through their effort in their jobs, careers, business and their personal lives. Their effort is found on ensuring others have what they need before their own needs are met.
13. They’re hungry. They want it badly. They believe they have something of value to give to the world and are aching to give it. Lucky people jump out of bed in the morning. They sacrifice — giving up the luxuries of the modern world (TV, Facebook, etc.) — so that they can get to work fulfilling the promise they make to themselves.
Put a little luck on your side! And feel free to shoot me an email if you’d like some help along the way!