This will conclude my encore postings of my Top Ten Marketing Tips from 2005 (due to my office and family moving back to my beloved North Carolina) with marketing tip No. 10:
Top 10 Marketing Tips: No. 10 – Be Active In Organization(s)
Over the years I have heard lawyers say that they belong to several organizations from business and trade to civic and cultural in nature, but that it is a waste of time, and doesn’t lead to additional business. However, when examined further, one finds that although they are “joiners,” they are not “doers.” Being active in organizations requires just that – activity.
So, if you want this form of marketing to help you develop business you must:
- Be more than a joiner – make a meaningful contribution
- Seek leadership position – volunteer often
- Join business or trade groups that your clients and prospects belong to
- Believe in the organization’s mission – so you will remain interested and active
- There are other marketing activities that may produce results more quickly, but being active and involved in organizations that your clients and prospective clients belong to can produce meaningful results in getting new clients.